Help Flooded Farmers
Can you help?
Members of Camgrain are you willing to donate a tonne of your stored crop to help farmers in areas of the UK blighted by flooding?
I am sure that everyone is aware of the dire situation in which many farmers on the Somerset Levels find themselves. There are organisations around the country that are busy arranging the supply of animal feed to those animals which have had to be evacuated from their fields.
It would be very helpful to those farmers in need if we members at Camgrain were to donate a small amount of our stored feed grain and it was transported down to Somerset to a mill (several of whom are helping out) in one of the Camgrain lorries.
I am hopeful that several members would donate a tonne (or more) of wheat or barley to help out fellow-farmers in dire need.
There is also a requirement for hay, straw and silage type feedstuffs. If you have any of these you can spare please contact us and we will coordinate haulage. If you are not a member of Camgrain but would like to help out too please contact us.
David White (Vice Chairman) & John Latham (Chairman)
Update 12-Feb-2014 15:23
Hello vistors from the BBC website
If you are wondering how else you can help the farmers in Somerset here is some useful information. The farmers themselves have said that at the moment they most need fodder and space to house livestock.
Here is who to contact:
- Sedgemoor Livestock Market is acting as a drop-off point for fodder donations. The market is off J24 of the M5, postcode TA6 6DF. Call 01278 410278 to arrange a delivery time.
You can also make a financial donation to charities helping in the crisis:
- R.A.B.I. gives emergency welfare grants to help farming families in financial difficulty, for example as a result of disasters such as flooding. You can donate to R.A.B.I.’s Emergency Fund for working farmers via the website www.rabi.org.uk and Just Giving. Alternatively call 01865 724931 to make a donation over the phone, or send a cheque made payable to “R.A.B.I.” to Shaw House, 27 West Way, Oxford OX2 0QH, making clear that it is for the Emergency Fund.
- FCN provides a helpline and visiting service to help farming people facing difficulties. Its volunteers provide pastoral care and practical help for as long as is needed. To donate to FCN call 0845 367 9990 or go to the website www.fcn.org.uk and donate via Just Giving.
- Addington Fund is taking donations to help farmers affected by the floods which will be held in a restricted fund to help people on the Somerset Levels. It also provides homes for farmers who have to leave the industry and in so doing lose their home. To donate to Addington go to the website www.addingtonfund.org.uk
- Somerset Community Foundation has set up a donations page to help local communities affected by the floods. See www.justgiving.com/Somerset-Community-Found-Flood-Appeal
- The Prince’s Countryside Fund is also helping by making donations to the farming charities and Somerset Community Foundation. See www.princescountrysidefund.org.uk or text PCF to 70300 to make a £3 donation.
- The Bath and West Agricultural Society has set up a dredging fund to help the Somerset Levels. See the website www.bathandwest.com/somerset-levels-launch-fund
Here are some other useful links: